Moving Planner – Ensuring you settle successfully after moving to a new place, and it is very critical to have a strategic plan that will guide you through the whole process of moving. Following is a moving planner & moving timeline that will guide you for a successful moving experience!
2-3 months before moving
Ensure you create a moving binder or a folder
- With a folder or a binder, ensure that you keep track of all the things that are related to your moving timeline, which includes receipts, moving services, scheduling reminders, and others. For better referencing and accessibility, prefer a digital one.
- In your new destination, there is a possibility of having some information you might need to store due to the frequency of accessing them, such as schools, health centers, and safety facilities.
- With a suitable binder or a folder, you will be able to arrange a moving checklist in an orderly manner.
Set aside a moving budget
- Before researching the professional movers, ascertain the amount of money you wish to spend on your move.
- When deciding on which professional company to give the job, consider a company that will offer the entire moving services. Consider a company that will provide more than loading and unloading, such as “We Move Anywhere” Moving Company.
- For a long-distance move, especially state to state, the cost will depend on various factors such as the distance between your location and destination, weight and volume of your things, the moving dates such as weekends and peak season, and other services such as packing and unpacking.
- If you happened to consider doing the moving all by yourself, evaluate the amount you will spend on the moving supplies, transportation, equipment, and also labor, which compared to the professional movers, would have been done and maybe at a cheaper cost.
8 weeks towards moving out
Do Your Research
Due to the many scams associated with moving, ensure that you are well informed about the moving scams. Some movers will not disclose their fees or offer you a quote, and it may result in a very stressful experience. These unreliable movers may end up holding your belongings in an undisclosed location as they push for an excess amount of money.
To protect yourself from such unscrupulous movers, do the following:
- Consult friends and family for a recommendation
- Engage the American Moving and Storage Association
- Check online reviews
- Ensure you document everything in the moving quote.
- Check on the company policies on your responsibilities and rights
- Decide on the type of moving services you require
- Where your company is responsible for moving, check their policy to determine the limit of the moving company
- For an interstate movement, ensure that the FMCSA authorizes the mover
- Ensure you are aware of your move protection options and claims process
- Prepare yourself to answer some basic questions such as your moving dates, origin, and destination, including the addresses, among others.
Conduct either a virtual or in-person assessment of your belongings and home
When scheduling your moving quote, involve your estimator to assist in determining the costs, moving process, and delivery timing where the moving planner will do all this. Ensure to conduct an adequate assessment, so a to give a viable estimate. You can either do this in person to engage the moving company to use technology in a virtual survey. With “We Move Anywhere” as your moving planner, they will take you through the whole moving process, including what you will need for the survey.
- Show all location of the house, including all rooms, garage, storage area, among others
- Inform the company all the items to be loaded into the moving truck and ones to be left
- Inform all the valuables of more than $100 per pound in value.
- Point out all the delicate items
- Show outside of the home for accessibility estimation
- Decide the mode of packing you prefer, whether you will do it, or hire the professional packing from the company.
- If you are willing to move with “We Move Anywhere” Long Distance Moving Company, read our step by step guide on moving
- Compare the estimates then go-ahead to make the booking
7 weeks towards moving out
- Document the details for your new destination
- Where you are changing jobs, take note of the start date and time.
- Allocate time off for the move if you are staying with the employer and share the new address
- If you have kids in school, communicate to the school of your upcoming move.
- Ensure you transfer the school and medical documents for the family
- Enquire if the move will require a change of your vehicle insurance or personal property insurance.
- In your new home will not be ready during the move, consider storage in the meantime
- Have a list of the requirements of your new home. Start shopping now what you will need in the new house.
6 weeks towards moving out
- Plan your move schedule for the week of moving
- Ensure you book a hotel if your house will not be ready or if there is a need for lodging
- Obtain an air ticket if need be
- Set children care or pet sitting services
- Book the transport from the airport where necessary
- For a long-distance journey, ensure that the vehicles are serviced in about two weeks towards moving.
- Make arrangements for shipping your vehicle if need be.
5 weeks towards moving out
- Document transfer and protection
- All the physical documents, scan and store them in the cloud
- Ensure your computer is updated and all the software’s are up to date
- For all the online accounts, safely store the log-in and passwords safe.
- For documents such as passports, birth certificates, social security cards, and financial statements, ensure you store them in a safe place.
- Store all product warranty documentation and manuals in a single location
If you are going for self-packing, begin by collecting moving boxes and packing supplies
- Familiarize yourself with various types of moving boxes such as dish packs and wardrobe boxes, and decide how many you would require.
- Research moving supplies and tips to assist in the packing process
- Buy the boxes and moving supplies either online or from the local moving and storage outlets.
Start to declutter your things
- Return all the items you had borrowed
- In each of your rooms, set up piles for Keep, Sell, Donate, and Trash.
- For the items, you plan to sell, do it online using an online market or organize a garage sale
- Donate the item you wish to the charity organizations
- Engage a junk removal company for the removal of waste materials
- Take all the documents you need to be shredded not to end up in the wrong hands.
- To comply with federal, state, and local laws, and to protect the environment, dispose of all the hazardous items correctly.
4 weeks towards moving out
- Collect all your packing supplies, including scissors, tape, markers, hardware tools, and others.
- Using the packing and preparing tips to ensure that you are guided on how to park-specific items
- Begin with the garages and storage areas mainly because they hold items that are not frequently used.
- Have an out of the way in every room to use when moving things out
- In every room, please pack the items that you are sure you will not need them immediately, such as winter or summer clothes.
- Ensure you are aware of the hazardous items and items not allowed in the truck.
- Keep checking the list of items in the box, the type of things inside the box, and the room they belong.
- Mark every box on the side and indicate the room it is supposed to be placed.
- Put aside all the boxes that you will need in your new home immediately for easy accessibility.
- Use plastic baggies for simple furniture hardware
3 weeks towards moving
- Inform the necessary parties of your move
- Change the local address with the post office
- Cancel any ongoing service and start it in your new home, including lawn care, pool maintenance, snow removal, pet care, e.tc
- Update the information in your community membership and all subscription services
- Change the address with agencies such as Medicare and Medicaid offices.
- Update the address with your employer departments such as the payroll department, your local voter’s registration office, and your financial institutions.
Plan a goodbye with neighbors and area friends
Ensure you allocate time to have some time with your neighbors and friends before the departure.
2 weeks towards moving
- Clean up your refrigerator and, where possible clear everything to keep it empty
- Remove all pins and nails pinned to the walls and fill the holes with spackling.
- Make the arrangements for a move out cleaning services
- Clean and dust your furniture appropriately
- Ensure that your new home is clean so that after arrival, you are ready to unpack immediately.
- Dismantle all the furniture that is not in use at this moment and keep it appropriately.
Prepare to move
- Confirm all the travel arrangements are in place, including the airport and hotels
- If you are driving, ensure your car is serviced
- Decide of the route to use, the attractions and rest areas for a gas refill
- If the children are moving with you, prepare activities such as coloring books and others to keep them busy.
- Prepare all the traveling clothes and toiletries needed in the journey
- Have a note of thing you require when traveling
- If you are shipping your car, confirm all the details and the shipping process.
- Be aware of the weather as you plan your move
Take care of the miscellaneous tasks
- Take back the library books
- Take all the items from the local stores
- Cancel or direct all scheduled deliveries
- Pick all the clothes from the dry cleaner
- Pay all outstanding fees or fines like a ticket or legal fees
1 week to moving
Preparation of indoor and outdoor appliances if they are to be moved.
Importance note: To protect you and the appliances, it is recommended that you engage a professional technician for appliances preparation to move.
- Unplug and empty the freezer, ice maker, and refrigerator at least 24 hours before the movers arrive.
- Empty the dishwasher and let the air out
- Disconnect and destabilize your washer and drier
- Disable the garden hoses and lawn care equipment’s
- Pack all the smaller appliances such as microwave, air fryer, and crock pots
- Disable all the computer appliance
Call the utility companies and home service providers
- Make the arrangement your new utility services to be on a day or two after moving
- Ensure you contact the utility provider for their services
- Request for the disconnect services after you move out
Planning for moving out day
- Confirm the logistics of your move with the company involved
- Confirm the children move and the pets
- Keep safely key to your new home
- The first pack all the necessities you will require urgently after moving into the new house
- Make sure you visit the ATM if you are planning to tip your movers for a hand cash
- Complete all the last time packing
- Keep checking the weather condition to ensure you are safe
- Ensure all the outdoor furniture are clean
- Prepare a cooler with water and snacks on the night before moving
- Place the items you want to travel close to you in your vehicle and not in the mover’s vehicle
- Meet and greet the mover while you inform them about all the moving details
- Ensure the floors are well protected
- Prepare to direct the movers to the rooms and how the boxes are arranged.
- Be ready to sign any paperwork
- Ensure that there is nothing that is left behind
- Ensure that the floors are protected
- Direct movers where to store the boxes
- Confirm and sign all the paperwork
- Set up all the curtains in respective areas
- Assemble the beds and make them
- Before unpacking, perform a necessary cleaning
- Unpack all the thing you need on the first night
- Get the personal belongings in your vehicle
Unpacking and settling in your new home
- Take your time to unpack as you do the second round of decluttering
- To reduce stress consider hiring the unpacking services
- Unpack the most needed things such as toiletries, clothes, and food
- Pick the things you will need for your first week in the groceries
- Deep clean your house in all areas, including carpets, hard floors, windows, baseboards, ceiling fans to unpack in a clean environment.
- Assemble all the furniture in the new house
- Where you used a professional moving company, consider leaving a review